WHAT IS KIMCHI FRIED RICE
Kimchi fried rice (Kimchi Bokkeumbap, 김치 볶음밥) is a type of Korean fried rice and it is predominantly cooked with kimchi (obviously!) To give it more texture and flavor a variety of meat and/or vegetables are often added.
This dish is one of the most popular ways to use up your old ripened kimchi along with Kimchi jjigae (Kimchi stew) and Kimchi-jeon (pancake).
"So, when I make my kimchi fried rice I typically add bacon and mushrooms (particularly enoki mushrooms). Bacon gives a nice smoky flavor and enoki mushrooms give a nice crunchy feel to the dish. Besides, my husband loves meat just like any other men (I think?), so he won’t accept my kimchi fried rice unless it contains some meat in it!"
- 1 cup 'Yangban kimchi' (*see notes), cut into thumbnail size pieces
- 150g / 5.3 ounces bacon OR ANY MEAT, cut into thumbnail size pieces
- (Optional) 1 pack enoki mushrooms (200g, 7 ounces), root removed, rinse the mushrooms in cold water and drain.
- 3 cups 'Hetban' or any steamed white short/medium grain rice – if it is freshly cooked, leave it out for 5 to 10 mins at room temperature to cool down before cooking.
- 4 x-large eggs, cooked sunny side up or per your preference
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup kimchi juice (*see notes) – this liquid is from the bottom of the kimchi container
- 1/2 Tbsp 'Premium sesame oil'
- 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 to 2 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- (optional) 1/2 stalk green onion, thinly sliced
- (optional) roasted seasoned seaweed, shredded
- NOTE: Ideally the kimchi is at least 2 weeks old. If not, add 1/2 tsp rice vinegar into the kimchi juice to make it sour.
- Obtaining 1/4 cup of kimchi juice can be difficult if your kimchi is fairly new. In that case, use 2 1/2 Tbsp kimchi juice and 1 Tbsp gochujang instead. If you want it to be not spicy, you can add 1 Tbsp soy sauce instead of gochujang.
- 1 Tbsp = 15 ml, 1 Cup = 250 ml
HOW TO MAKE KIMCHI FRIED RICE
1. On medium high heat preheat a pan/wok and once heated, add the cooking oil and spread it well with a spatula.
2. Add the garlic, stir it fast for about 10 seconds. Then add the bacon or any meat and stir it well until half of it is cooked.
3. Add the Kimchi and stir until 80% of it is cooked.
4. (Optional) Add the mushrooms and mix them well for a few seconds. Reduce the heat to medium-medium low.
5. Add the rice and the kimchi juice. Mix all of them together well and thoroughly.
6. Add the sesame oil and mix them well. Remove from the heat.
7. Serve the Kimchi fried rice on a plate. Garnish with the sesame seeds, green onion and seaweed strips. (Garnish is all optional). Place the cooked egg on top. Enjoy!
*ADD MOZZARELLA CHEESE OR FRIED EGG*