An ingredient that has a wide variety of uses!
How to make Kimchi-jeon (kimchi pancake):
- 1 1/2 cups 'Ottogi Korean pancake mix'
- 1 1/4 cups water (add more as needed to adjust batter consistency)
- 1 cup 'Yangban kimchi' or kimchi chopped, with juice
- 1/4 small onion sliced into strings (or 2 chopped scallions)
- 3 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Optional dipping sauce (recipe below)
1. Combine the Ottogi pancake mix with the water in a medium-sized bowl and stir until well combined.
- Make sure you get out all the lumps. The batter should flow easily and have a relatively thin texture, like crepe batter or thin pancake batter, so you can add a little water here if you feel the batter is too thick.
2. Stir in the kimchi with its juice, and hot sauce, if using. Stir in onions.
3. Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat-high heat.
4. Add a small amount of olive oil to the pan and heat until it shimmers.
- You want the pan and the oil hot enough so that the pancake turns out crispy at the edges.
5. Pour just enough batter into the pan so that it covers the entire bottom without overfilling it, making sure to include the onions and kimchi bits. (You can choose to make one whole piece or smaller individual pieces)
- Tip: Use a scoop/dipper to scoop the batter easily and pour it on the pan
- If the pancake is too thick, it won't cook through. It should be about 1/4-inch thick.
6. Cook the pancake for 2 minutes, or until you get a 1-inch border around the edges that looks dry.
7. Flip the pancake over and cook another 2 minutes.
8. Serve hot with dipping sauce.